The steps involved in how to recover lost files on Mac depends on the type of recovery being done. Undeleted Mac files can often be retrieved for just about any file type whether it is an audio, text, graphics, or video file. [how to recover lost files on Mac]
Although document files such as .doc or .docx, image files such as .jpg/jpeg and .png, audio files such as .mp3, and video files such as .mov are some of the most common file types that are either lost or deleted; a good data recovery software has the capability to retrieve file types of various extensions.
Undeleted Mac files can come about via restoring them from the Trash Can or locating them in the timeline of Mac’s Time Machine. Trash Can is used for recent deletes while Time Machine is used for accessing deleted files that require a more in-depth search. However, it is a good idea to invest in one of the many data recovery software that are on the market. uFlysoft Data Recovery and iSlove Data Recovery are two very popular data recovery software.
For many people, a data recovery software is the primary go-to utility in how to recover lost files on Mac. Nowadays, most data recovery software use pattern recognition as opposed to the old filesystem analysis method. Pattern recognition allows for undeleted Mac files to be retrieved from just about any device and even if the media is in poor condition. Let us examine some of the advantages of using data recovery software when it comes on to how to recover lost files on Mac:
• The software is self-sufficient so very little work is required on your part.
• Even if the software takes hours or days to locate a lost or deleted file, it is still the fastest way to get the data recovery done.
• In terms of the time and effort it would take to do a manual search for a deleted or lost file; the cost of data recovery software is most affordable.
• The software can be used across platforms and media.
• The software will produce results that reveal many useless and previously deleted files spanning the life of the disk/computer. Thus, helping you to do a deep clean of your system.
Most data recovery software are user-friendly and require very little input to perform their task. Please note that in order to prevent overwriting the very file you are trying to recover; data recovery software should always be downloaded on a separate medium such as a disk or flash drive.
Since the original file names will be lost in the recovery process, it is best to test at least two different data recovery software to determine how they present the final search results to limit the tedium in locating a specific file that was lost or deleted.
The best defense against the sometimes harrowing task of retrieving lost or deleted files is to frequently back-up your data. This will ensure that utilities such as Mac’sTime Machine will reveal favorable results when you need it.